Monday, February 27, 2012

Step Away From the Book

A couple of weeks ago a dramatic development at my regular day job (involving Amazonian sized bugs and fumigation) gave me a couple of unexpected hours to myself.  I had a printed copy of Dancing Hours with me, which I have never actually read from beginning to end because I wrote it in sections and put it together after the fact.  I would imagine many authors work this way... living with their characters and furiously writing when inspiration hits.

I was looking forward to spending time with the book and reading it as my readers would.  I went to one of my favorite coffee shops, got a drink and sat in a quiet corner with a pen and my pages. 

I must have been feeling ruthless that day - I was crossing out and rewriting and generally being critical of the entire thing.  My biggest complaint was the pace of the book.  It felt too fast, like I didn't spend enough time developing the scenes and exploring the characters.

Then, unexpectedly, another mom that I sort of know and sort of don't from my kids' school came in.  As she left I said a polite hello and she sat with me.  We chatted for a few minutes and she made some sort of vaguely racist remark about another school having 5 different ethnicities in attendance and I was left speechless.  The few short minutes after that, I wasn't sure what to say.  I was pretty sure I would be avoiding future conversations with her, though.

When she left I turned back to my book.  It looked abused.  I had not treated it with the care and love that I'd written it with.  I realized that the pace of the book seemed out of sync because I have almost memorized the book I've read and reread so many times.  So I decided to put it down, back away slowly and let my mind drift to other things - the next book, perhaps, which has been pushing its way into my head since I wrapped up this one.

I hope that when I come back to Dancing Hours, I can respect it for what it is.  It is my first novel... much like a first crush.  I hope that I don't put it out there and have my hopes dashed against the rocks, but I have to remember that criticism is a gift.  Maybe it will be like the weird Christmas sweater my mom gave me one year, but it's the thought that counts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment